[optacon-l] Re: hello from former Optacon teacher Judy Adams

  • From: JBliss Judy <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:44:59 -0800

Dear Don,

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be, but your name is familiar too.  Did
you come to training with a dog?  Early training was done at a local hotel on
El Camino Real whose name slips my memory (it was a name familiar to a local
restaurant nearer University Avenue in Palo Alto...The Flamingo??)...it had an
all-night restaurant, and and an outside pool near the restaurant.  And there
was a small footbridge that connected the rooms in one area of the hotel (that
wrapper around the restaurant), that you had to cross the parking lot, and then
you were at the restaurant.  I remember doing mobility around the footbridge
and pool was a hassle and once one of the guide dogs fell in one evening after
training, slipping under the fabric or soft plastic cover over the pool one
winter, as I recall, but got out OK.

Do you remember the names of the other students when you were training? What
work did you go into after Optacon training?  Are you still using the Optacon
to supplement other access tools?

Thanks for your response, and for keeping in touch.

Judy