[optacon-l] Re: hello from former Optacon teacher Judy Adams

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 13:56:42 -0800

Judy,

Thanks for such a great message! It's great to have an optacon instructor on
the list; there may be others here also. I never visited TSI, although I've
always lived in the Bay Area. My training was done with a licensed
instructor at my family's cabin in the mountains during a week of summer
break from computer school in 1976. After that I literally took off and used
the optacon to read homework assignments and anything else I could get my
hands on; I still use it after all these years, although not as much as I
once did. It got me my job, and I used it for 15 years to access a 3270
computer screen 40 hours a week. Some of us on this list live alone, and the
optacon is still our window to print. When I retired a few years ago, IBM
allowed me to bring my equipment home, including the optacon they purchased
for me in the 1980s.

Thanks again for your interesting message and your unique perspective as an
instructor.

Mary