[optacon-l] Re: hello from former Optacon teacher Judy Adams

  • From: JBliss Judy <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:10:39 -0800

Dear Linda,

Other than Leo Drell in S. California, who used to do Optacon repairs, and who
now may be retired (his son is in the business, and I'll check with him), I
don't know who might repair a magnifying lens or CRT lens - the latter being
more complicated, depending on what's broken or out of alignment. A skilled
optician or camera shop might be able to do something.

In terms of tracking a CRT lens over the screen, the lenses had several tiny
coated balls on the face of the lens housing that were designed to protect the
standard screens of the day, but I'm not sure about new screens, which are very
touch-sensitive.  You might have to "hover" the lens just slightly above the
surface, which would more than usually tiring for tracking.

Ah, late-night swimming!  I do remember your class.

Best regards,

Judy