[optacon-l] Re: hello from former Optacon teacher Judy Adams

  • From: "Pam Drake" <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:49:23 -0800

The restaurant was named Stickney's.  I used to enjoy their fried onion
rings.

What a time that was!  I was there in late 1975, one of four students
sent in that class from the Social Security Administration.  Best thing
I ever got from that job aside from the paycheck of course, and the
retirement funds which I withdrew when I left, using the money to buy my
own Optacon in 1979.  I still have that one, though it needs work.  I
have managed to acquire two more over the past few years.

I don't remember you, Judy, and it could be that you were gone by the
time I got there.  I haven't followed this thread fully, but have saved
the messages for future reading.

The director of training at the time was a very nice lady by the name of
Kay or Cay Miller.  She was so patient with me.

My learning  curve was pretty steep the first week, and I had family
friends in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area.  I had been out to dinner a
few nights, and when she asked to come by my room I was sure she was
going to tell me I wasn't making it and it was time to pack up for home.

Well, nothing could have been further from the truth.  Cay gave me an
assignment for that weekend.  Anything!  I said.  I really wanted to
learn this machine.  Her assignment was to plug the Optacon in on Friday
afternoon, which advice was given before we understood the nature of
NiCad batteries, go to San Francisco as planned with the other three
students who had planned this along with me, and not to touch the
machine till Monday morning.  I had been ready to forego the trip; but
she told me I was trying too hard, putting far too much pressure on
myself.

On Sunday night I could hardly wait to get back to the Optacon, and for
the next week my progress absolutely soared!  What a great trip!

I went back in 1981 and got the teacher's certificate; in fact, one of
the Optacons I now own belonged to a friend whom I trained under
contract with her employer.  While I'm on that subject, the other
belonged to a friend whom I hadn't seen for many years, who had it in
the back of his closet and gave it to me for nothing more than a gift
box of mixed nuts, which was all I could get him to accept.  I had all
my Optacons worked on by Richard Oehm, and was lucky enough to have
gotten the two additional ones from people I knew, so I knew they had
been at least stored properly, if not used.

My!  What memories!

Pam Drake

   From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:12:05 -0800
     To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Hi Judy,
>
>Your name is vary familiar and I'm sure we crossed paths at tsi at some

>point as I got my first Optacon in 1972 and received training in Palo
>Alto (or was it Mountainview).  Training was at a hotel, the name of
>which escapes me after all these years.
>
>Anyway, welcome to the list.
>
>Don Bishop

Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by sending a
message to: