[optacon-l] Re: hello from former Optacon teacher Judy Adams

  • From: JBliss Judy <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:37:22 -0800

Dear Linda,

Thanks for your response!  You (and I) are to be forgiven for not remembering
teachers/students back in '71.  We had several students at each session and
rotated teachers among them, so it's difficult to remember, but at the time,
the relationships were intense, since the training was so concentrated over the
week and a half.  W

hen Telesensory sold its blindness products to Blazie we transferred the
technical records but held on to the training folders for each student for a
while, trying to decide what to do with them, since they could have provided
raw materials for research.  But since there were confidentiality concerns
about the information, it was shredded.  So if you were a rowdy student,your
secret is safe!

The teachers at that time included Joan Bliss (wife of Jim Bliss, the
co-inventor of the Optacon), Helen Golden, Martha McLaughlin, Betty Meltzer,
Linda Wagner, Winn Downing (our only totally blind teacher at that time),
Jackie Wheeler (who was is still associated with Kurzweil, after leaving
Telesensory, and myself, among others..

I loved that old Smith Corona attachment, and years ago I gave our training
dept. S-C typewriter to a local Optacon user, and he has kept it in good
working order. I remember being stopped in an airport when I was carrying the
IBM selectric typewriter attachment, because although the rod that held the
optics was not hollow, the security person thought I might have a rifle with a
sight!

The CRT lens for reading computer screens was also a great tool, and would be
invaluable now when speech fails on a computer, so that one could read the
screen!

Glad you're still using it.  I just received Catherine Thomas's summary of the
group's activities since '06 and it's wonderful what has been accomplished.
I'm just sorry I didn't join (or re-join) the list until recently.

Best regards,

Judy Adams