[muglo] Re: powerbook

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:36:47 -0400

Whatever you do, get your money back on the "Best Buy" extended
warrantee since it's not AppleCare!!! Check with MacOutpost but I'm
sure they sell AppleCare packages and will be able to assist you with
your question. You may also be able to convince Mac Outpost to price
match, or at the very least, knock a few dollars off the price of the
laptop+AppleCare if you take back the PB to Best Buy.

If the PowerBook you bought is less than one year old you can buy
AppleCare warrantee for a PowerBook for $539 ($364 if you're an edu
customer... of course, if you're an edu customer you can buy a new PB
for up to $200 less than you could at any big box store). AppleCare is
transferrable and it means you can sell the computer to anyone,
anywhere in the world and they will be assured service within the
three years the warrantee covers.

You also get a round-the-clock toll-free support line for software and
troubleshooting help.

As for setting up your camera and hooking up the wireless. The
wireless is built-in. Setting it up for your ISP ought to be easy
(especially if you're using ADSL or Cable) -- you can get help here on
the list I'm sure, and, if you're using an AirPort base station you'll
be able to call Apple to help you configure it (within the first 90
days of your "new" computer purchase).

Hooking up your camera ought to be easy too! What brand of camera is
it? What interface does it use (USB or FireWire)? And, what software
do you plan to use with the camera?

If you bought Apple's FireWire camera and plan to use it with the
iChat AV software you need *no* help. You plug in the camera. Open
iChat AV and go (well, positioning will be the challenge ;-)! If you
get stuck with this combo, call Apple's help line (you get 90 days of
support with a new purchase, even if you don't get AppleCare).

Eric.