[muglo] powerbook

  • From: Hawk <taylorc547@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:04:03 -0400

OK, here's my conundrum. I decided to buy a PowerBook. Checked out Best Buy
and they had one on sale. I didn't know until I decided to buy it that it
was used. (Needless to say I got a chuckle out of Dave's comments.)
I am not computer literate and I was told not to worry a techie would come
to my place to set it up, hook up a camera and mike I had given to me
recemtly, install the wireless, etc. And for about $460 I purchased their
extended warranty, which sounded pretty good and I thought necessary
considering the cost of the powerbook. The promise of tech help and setup
support (at $150 or so cost, by the way) swung me. I was to call the next
day to set up an appt. When I called I got some techie in some other city
who told me the store has no one in my area that can work on Macs. No one to
set it up and, of course, that meant the long-term warranty would be
worthless. "Sorry, but we have clerks that keep promising stuff we can't
deliver," the guy said. So I should take it back and get my money back, I
suggested. He said, "exactly."
      So . . . I'm pondering.
    Return it and go to another store, Mac Outpost or whatever since near as
I can tell I only save about $130 on the Best Buy buy. Return it and cancel
the useless warranty and see if anyone in the local store can fulfil their
promises. One guy seemed eager to do it when I bought the thing by he way.
Or simply cancel the warranty, keep the computer and see if there's anyone
out there who could help me learn the basics of the thing -I've  never  had
a laptop - hook up the camera, maybe the wireless etc.
  I'm leaning strong toward taking it back and starting fresh. Jim