[muglo] Re: muglo Digest V6 #205 Re: MUGLO

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:56:17 -0400

>On 15-Oct-06, at 10:38 AM, doug rogers wrote:
>
> > On 10-15-06, at 8:33 AM, Eric D wrote:
> >
> >> update the DNS entry for www.muglo.org to point to the
> >> new web page (since it seems you are the registrant for
> >> muglo.org... or
> >> whoever controls the DNS entry).
> >
> > Could this also be a reason why searches are futile?
> >
> > Why are Humans the only primates with chins and nuclear weapons?
>
>In answer to both, Paul couldn't seem to find a way to load the web
>pages to make the switch & I never got a reply from Freewebs about
>how either.

It seems like you're (Tee) having Freeweb taking care of DNS services for
muglo.org.

Depending on the destination URL/server/IP address, it is possible to use
(1) Aliases (aka CNAME entries), (2) WebForwards, or (3) IP addresses (A
records).

Muglo.org appears to point to an IP address (A record) which means certain
things must be configured server-side for the web site to be served up. I
suspect those things _are_ configured properly which means you whoever is
taking care of the web server needs to figure out what file is being served
up.

I could be as simple a case of index.htm vs. index.html.

The "welcome new user" page I receive when I go to http://www.muglo.org
refers to setting up index.htm whilst a visit to
http://www.freewebs.com/muglo serves up an index.html page (you can discover
this by explicitly visiting ./index.html and ./index.htm -- index.htm serves
up a page not found error).

What's happening is that FreeWeb's DNS servers are [probably] pointing to a
specific IP address and the web server at that IP address is directed to
serve a specific directory, dependent on the domain name that is being used
(you can host many domain names at one server this way... there are two ways
(that I'm familiar with) to host multiple domains at one server).

Figuring out what directory that redirect is going to will solve the
www.muglo.org myster (provided it's not as simply as index.htm vs.
index.html).

Is there a requirement that only freeweb stuff be included in the .sig since
freeweb is hosting the list?

>Also Eric, the cost of .org was $10 less a
>year & much less complicated to change details.
>Hope that clears things up as I'm fed up of justifying to Eric saving
>Muglo over $300 for the last 3 years. Add another $60 per year by
>switching banking to "PC Financial.

No need to get your knickers in a knot (or whatever the saying is). I'm
pleasantly surprised to learn that MUGLO is no longer paying for web hosting
(though, I am surprised to learn that MUGLO was paying bank fees).

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/