[muglo] Free e-mail hosting

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:21:18 -0400

Hi all, this whole free web hosting thing reminded me of a new service that
both Google and Microsoft are testing out -- free web hosting for your own
domain's e-mail!

Google offers it through "Google Apps for your domain"
<https://www.google.com/a/> and Microsoft through their Live Domains service
(<http://domains.live.com/>).

What happens is that if you are the owner of a domain (e.g. muglo.org or
muglo.on.ca) you can have one of those two companies host e-mail (for up to
25 accounts) services for your domain. Google or Microsoft then accept and
store all incoming mail for your domain up to the very generous limits for
your accounts (especially for Google... 2.7 GB and counting... "only" ;-P 1
GB for Hotmail/MS).

You can then access your e-mail either through the GMail or the Hotmail
interface. Google even allows you to  download your e-mail using your
favourite mailer (e.g. Mail for OS X).

Google also offers a variety of other services to go with the mail
(calendar, chat and domain web hosting).

Anyway, I've been experimenting with both services and like them both but I
MUCH prefer the GMail interface to the (rather staid and not-so-useful)
Hotmail interface so I've switched dunbar.ca to Google!

If you have a domain and need help getting set up for your e-mail let me
know and I can point you in the right direction.

PS If you're looking for free DNS services check out www.zoneedit.com.
They're reliable and can be automagically updated if you're on dynamic IP
(I've scripted my server to stay up-to-date within 15-17 minutes of an IP
address change... no longer do I have to fiddle with DynDNS.org :-)

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/