[muglo] Re: muglo Digest V6 #205 Re: MUGLO

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 05:55:40 -0400

>On 10-15-06, at 8:34 PM, Tee Cashmore wrote:
>
> >> It seems like you're (Tee) having Freeweb taking care of DNS
> >> services for muglo.org.
> >
> > Yes, they were offering free initial registration & hosting, which I
> > took advantage of.
>
>   To clarify, Am I to understand that muglo.org and muglo.on.ca still
>remain registered as Domain names?

Tee responded, I believe. Only muglo.org is registered.

> >> The "welcome new user" page I receive when I go to http://
> >> www.muglo.org refers to setting up index.htm whilst a visit to
> >> http://www.freewebs.com/muglo serves up an index.html page (you can
> >> discover this by explicitly visiting ./index.html and ./index.htm
> >> -- index.htm serves up a page not found error).
> >
> > Ditto above.
>
>freewebs.com/muglo/index.htm  is now a redirect to freewebs.com/muglo/
>index.html
>
>I don't know how to fix the  www.muglo.org problem. I have a feeling
>it leads to an abandoned page. The directions on the freewebs site
>management page refer to index.html files not to index.htm files as
>the homepage result.

http://www.muglo.org actually leads to an automagically generated page.
Apache (I suspect) is taking the information provided by the browser's
request (saying that it's looking for http://www.muglo.org) and generating
the page because one isn't being found at the directory that Apache is
looking in.

> >> Figuring out what directory that redirect is going to will solve
> >> the www.muglo.org myster (provided it's not as simply as index.htm
> >> vs. index.html).
>
>I think that somewhere there is a DNS directory server which sends
>muglo.org to that page at freenet. Is that what you're saying Eric?
>We need to find that server and correct the redirect url? Correct?

What I think is happening is that the DNS server is doing its job and
sending www.muglo.org to the machine at which it thinks www.muglo.org is
being hosted. The machine in turn is taking the information and
auto-generating that page because there is no page where it looks!

A band-aid solution is for you to edit the DNS entry and use a WebForward
(or some such similar named feature), and forward the www.muglo.org entry to
www.freewebs.com/muglo.

However, THIS WILL NOT FIX THE GOOGLE SEARCH PROBLEM. (pardon the "yelling"
;-). I'm off to the gym right now but I'll respond some time this evening
with further thoughts.

I might be able to describe the problem to the www.freewebs.com people (or
discover where they're directing the web server to look for the index.htm
file).

> >> Question: why isn't www.muglo.org included in the .sig for the
> >> mailing list? Is there a requirement that only freeweb stuff be
> >> included in the .sig since freeweb is hosting the list?
>
>I don't think there is any requirement on behalf of freewebs for the
>url to be in the sig. muglo.org isn't in the sig because it leads to
>a dead end... as we've discovered.

:-(

We'll see if that can be fixed :-)

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html