[muglo] Re: muglo Digest V6 #205 Re: MUGLO

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:34:11 -0400

On 15-Oct-06, at 5:56 PM, Eric D wrote:

> It seems like you're (Tee) having Freeweb taking care of DNS
> services for muglo.org.

Yes, they were offering free initial registration & hosting, which I
took advantage of.

> Depending on the destination URL/server/IP address, it is possible
> to use (1) Aliases (aka CNAME entries), (2) WebForwards, or (3) IP
> addresses (A records).

This is where I am lost, never having done such things.

> Muglo.org appears to point to an IP address (A record) which means
> certain things must be configured server-side for the web site to
> be served up. I suspect those things _are_ configured properly
> which means you whoever is taking care of the web server needs to
> figure out what file is being served up.
>
> I could be as simple a case of index.htm vs. index.html.

Which questions I asked (how) and never got a reply from Freeweb

> The "welcome new user" page I receive when I go to http://
> www.muglo.org refers to setting up index.htm whilst a visit to
> http://www.freewebs.com/muglo serves up an index.html page (you can
> discover this by explicitly visiting ./index.html and ./index.htm
> -- index.htm serves up a page not found error).

Ditto above.

> What's happening is that FreeWeb's DNS servers are [probably]
> pointing to a specific IP address and the web server at that IP
> address is directed to serve a specific directory, dependent on the
> domain name that is being used (you can host many domain names at
> one server this way... there are two ways (that I'm familiar with)
> to host multiple domains at one server).
>
> Figuring out what directory that redirect is going to will solve
> the www.muglo.org myster (provided it's not as simply as index.htm
> vs. index.html).
>
> Question: why isn't www.muglo.org included in the .sig for the
> mailing list? Is there a requirement that only freeweb stuff be
> included in the .sig since freeweb is hosting the list?

Whatever that means.
> No need to get your knickers in a knot (or whatever the saying is).
> I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that MUGLO is no longer paying
> for web hosting (though, I am surprised to learn that MUGLO was
> paying bank fees).

I appreciate the above explanations, although don't really understand
a word of it. All the regular Banks charge for a bank account and
wanted to charge more to Muglo as they consider us a business; most
Hosters do too. I had to argue every year with London Webmasters to
reduce our fees from $308.16 to $109.12.
PC Financial only offer personal accounts, but I got over that by
making opening a "Muglo Tee Cashmore" account. No more $5 a month
service charge, even when I only wrote 1-2 cheques a year!
TTFN,
TeeC

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/