Re: Modern Optacon

  • From: Rachel <rachel720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:30:42 -0500

Mike, I'm intrigued by your assertion that numerous blind people could
never adequately master the use of the Optacon.  I wasn't aware of that.  I
happened to be introduced to the Optacon back in elementary school in the
late 70's; and though I remember having trouble with it in the beginning, I
grew to be able to read relatively quickly with it.  Could it be that the
age at which a person learns the Optacon impacts their ability to use
it?  I would suspect so, as I know it's harder to gain proficiency in
Braille the older you are.

And that's something else I've been mulling over, too.  I recognize a
number of names on this list from the PBD-L list and can't help but wonder
if there's any correlation between the ability to read Braille and the
ability to use the Optacon.  Please, someone, tell me if I'm totally off-base.

Oh, and btw, my spatial abilities are not very good.  I tend to have a lot
of trouble with mobility.
Rachel