Re: Modern Optacon

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:23:44 -0500

    Beth,

I would suspect that a majority of Optacon users, like myself, have been blind
from birth.  It isn't really that difficult to learn upper and lower case
print.  The hard thing for me is handwriting recognition, which I stilll can't
do.  The only thing I've been able to accomplish is reading notes, as long as
the writer hand prints it rather than writing in cursive.

This inability to recognize handwriting is purely a personal shortcoming, as
the Optacon picks it up fairly well as long as there is enough color contrast.

Part of the beauty of the Optacon is there is no conversion to another format,
whether it be Braillle or synthetic speech.

Steve