Re: Modern Optacon

  • From: Mike Freeman <k7uij@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:40:12 -0500 (EST)

I can't recognize handwriting, either, although I know of a *very* few
blind persons who can. LIke Steve, I can read hand printed material if
the printing is clear. However, in doing this, I note all the little
extra frills, tails, flourishes and other idiosyncratic ornamentation
with which most people adorn their printing, either consciously or
unconsciously. Since cursive is more fluid than printing (one never
takes pen off paper), this tendency to add flourishes is multiplied in
spades. The problem is that the mind/visual cortex learns by experience
how to filter out these flourishes or, put another way, it learns the
important aspects of each letter -- something akin to Plato's "perfect
forms", i.e., the essence of A-ness, B-ness, 5-ness, etc. Touch doesn't
seem to have this filtering mechanism integrated into its data
processing circuits. Hence, blind Optacon users tend to be confused by
nonuniformity of even hand printing, let alone handwriting.

Mike