Re: Modern Optacon

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:09:27 -0800

Charles and all,

Traveling well brings up an aspect I am curious about: deaf-blind people are
using the optacon, and they can travel, but sometimes not as independently.
I can only hear on one side, and I know I traveled better when I could hear
perfectly; but I still rely on the optacon for everything, since I live
alone, and, as others have mentioned, used the optacon for over a decade on
the job, 40 plus hours a week; in my case, from 1977 to 1992. Travel may be
one aspect of the reason we optacon users are able to benefit from it;
perhaps there is a broader definition, something more inclusive, such as
good sense of space and relationships within spatial areas.

Mary