from the moderator -- repairs and sellers, some clarifications of policy

  • From: "Don Bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:52:53 -0800

There are many people on this list from many parts of the world.  Attempting to
purchase Optacons or have them repaired is a tricky business.  If this list can
help people find reputable sellers or repair persons then we are performing a
real service.  By the same token, if we have an unusually bad experience with a
service, we should have the ability to let others know of this too.
If a seller or repair organization is criticized for it's practices, there
should certainly be room here for them to respond.  Then, it is up to us as
individuals to
decide in our own minds what kind of involvement we want to have with such
service providers.

At the same time, we really don't want the list to become a place for prolonged
discussions of personal disputes.  This should be carried on in private email
or
other private communications.

There is a fine line here and probably any resolution will be somewhat
arbitrary as far as the list is concerned.

I think Charles and CJ have both made their points here and it's now up to us
as individuals to make our own judgements.  There is obviously a lot of feeling
on both sides.

I would suggest that it's time to take this back to private email between the
contending parties and hopefully a resolution can be found.

If anyone would like to have further discussion on this with either Charles or
CJ, please do so in private email.

Finally, please remember that personal attacks and/or flaming are not allowed
on the list.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

As always, you can drop me a note if you have questions or comments regarding
list policies and practices.

Moderating a list is really a fun thing, but it's also sometimes really work
too.  <smile>

Don Bishop