[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidelines for prep of books for submission?

  • From: "Deborah Kent Stein" <dkent5817@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:47:30 -0500

Hi again,

Once again I feel I must weigh in on the discussion of the stripper
problem - a discussion which has become for me increasingly painful and
frustrating.  It saddens me tremendously to find us working so hard to come
up with ways to protect our files by outwitting the stripper, when we have
no actual guidelines from management on what to do.  We should not have to
struggle with this at all, and our efforts seem to be inconsistent and not
very effective.

Through a couple of exchanges with Jim I have begun to get a sense of what
is going on, from an engineering standpoint - although my understanding may
well be imperfect.  It seems that the stripper "grabs" page numbers and
chapter headings in order to create the "tags" which are so valuable to
Bookshare readers who use DAISY files.  Therefore, DAISY files would be
harmed if the stripper were turned off.  The BRF files are being stripped of
page numbers and chapter headings because the stripper is using them to
create DAISY tags.  I have been told that this is "an output problem" which
might be handled by the engineering department by working with the Duxbury
program, which is used to create the BRF files.  I am trying to get the
names of people in engineering in order to exchange ideas about what can be
done, and to find out about the time frame we can expect.

I think it is very important for everyone who is concerned about the
condition of the BRF files to contact Jim Fruchterman and Janice Carter.
Unless they hear from us, clearly and directly, it is easy for this issue to
be kept on the back burner indefinitely.  Right now DAISY seems to be a
priority and BRF is a neglected stepchild.  Those of us who prefer Braille
to audio need to make our voices heard - Braille users deserve the same
level of quality as DAISY users do.

Debbie