[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidelines for prep of books for submission?

  • From: "Deborah Kent Stein" <dkent5817@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:39:20 -0500

Dear Mike,

I don't use DAISY, but it's my understanding from my correspondence with Jim
Fruchterman that the information about page numbers, etc., is preserved in
the DAISY files through the navigation tags.  Is that true or not?  If there
are problems with DAISY books, too, please send Jim the names of specific
files he should examine.

Certainly the BRF files are being stripped - in my less calm moments the
words that come to mind are savaged, ravaged, violated, mangled, and gutted.
Not only are page numbers and chapter headings obliterated, but there is no
paragraphing whatsoever.  The fact that BRF readers have accepted this
situation for the past four years is astounding.  I think it is a tribute to
our deeply ingrained conditioning to be grateful for whatever we get without
complaint, and that is a very sad state of affairs.  Surely the stripper
problem is not insoluble.  We are all profoundly grateful that Bookshare
exists, but we should not feel we must show our gratitude by accepting
shoddy quality.  In fact, I think we owe it to ourselves and to Bookshare as
a whole to insist that major problems be dealt with as swiftly and
effectively as possible.

I don't think complaining among ourselves is very helpful in this instance,
but constructive dialogue with Bookshare management could do wonders.

Debbie