[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidelines for prep of books for submission?

  • From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:55:33 -0500

Debbie,

    I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into helping Bookshare
understand what's going on with the braille files. After seeing problems in
BRF files I've downloaded from the site, I've been afraid to even look at
the BRF versions of any books I've submitted.

    I realize most users may prefer the DAISY format, but I hope something
can be done in the coming months, to improve the quality of the braille
files. Not only is the stripper a problem, but odd things seem to happen
with translation. In addition, tabs appear to be lost, so I've started
replacing all tabs with spaces. I thought Duxbury was a very good program,
so I'm not sure why it would be dropping tabs, unless that has something to
do with the DAISY conversion that happens first.

    As far as page numbers are concerned, I have decided that until
something is worked out, I will only submit books for which page numbers are
not as important.

Paula Muysenberg