[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidelines for prep of books for submission?

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:57:38 -0500

I decided to respond to your questions point by point.

1) should the print page number be on the  same line as the form feed or
on a separate line?

The answer to this tends to be confusing because different programs display the pagebreaks differently. I would say the same line, which only means that you shouldn't enter a paragraph mark before it.

2) What should I do about hyphenated words?  This usually happens if the
last workd on an ink-print page is split between the  current page and the
the hyphenated words (join them together) before I submit the book?

It is not a bookshare requirement to fix the hyphens before submitting, but it is very much appreciated and will not be done by bookshare's automated book processing.

3)  The present book I'm doing is in text mode because it's easier for me
to edit it in text mode.  The parahraps are not indented but there is a
blank line between each paragraph.  will the braille translation program
be able to identify the paragraphs?

What do you mean by text mode? Do you mean you took a book in TXT format to edit? If it isn't originally in text format please do not convert to text before editing because it is likely to cause problems. If you mean you are editing on a note taker and prefer not to have it translated in to grade II braile on your display, that is just fine. You can display it in any grade of braille you like, but don't actually translate the file in to a braille file and then back to text because this will result in translation errors.

I believe the bookshare braille translator will actually prefer the format of the book you are currently working on, and a note taker will certainly display it better.

4) I'm wondering what formats could be edited on a Braillenote (Keysoft
6.11) without spoiling the format (meaning when I transfer the edited
files back to the PC, the format of the book will not be affected).
FSEDIT on the PacMate tends to screw up the format and of the document and
Pocket Word on the PacMate will work only with files 100KB or smaller.

You should be able to edit BRF, RTF, TXT, and DOC files. Hopefully your braille note doesn't eat heavily formatted files, but that is a bug that humanware has clamed to fix not an issue with the formats themselves. It is a good idea to keep a copy on your computer in case the file on your notetaker gets messed up. Before you open the file look at the options the braille note offers you for opening the file. You will definitely want to retain ANSI characters. I would refer to the message Kellie just sent to learn about line or paragraph formatting on the braille note. You will want to test both to see what looks best with the file you are working on. If one doesn't work, return to the original file on your computer and try again with the other option. That can be determined before doing any editing so effort is not wasted.

5) Are there any written guidelines?  if so, where would I find them?

Yes, but they are so minimal as to be nearly worthless. You are supposed to be sent them when you sign up to be a volunteer, and you can download a copy from a link on each page fore downloading a book to be validated. Someone one this list could also send a copy, but I would hope bookshare has slightly updated the directions to include keeping page breaks since most of us got our guidelines.

I hope this helps, and if you have more questions just ask them.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity