[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: Bill Claybaugh <wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:43:20 -0500

The RRS used to use a 5" diameter foam filled GRP nosecone to recover rocket
mail covers, which worked fine for a fall from about 2500 feet.

On a couple of occasions the rocket failed to separate from the mail package
and drove into the packed envelopes, which allowed the damaged ones to be sold
at a premium.  The packed envelopes seemed to stop the rocket in about one
foot, as I recall.

Foam or envelopes; both seem to work....

Bill

Sent from my iPhone