[AR] Re: Nozzle shapes

  • From: Doug Jones <randome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:54:19 -0800

I don't have TDK, the Two Dimensional Kinematic software package, but the nozzle shapes it creates are logarithmic, not parabolic. (A licensed TDK user shared an output file with me.) I've never been able to go from Rao's paper to an actual set of equations to design a nozzle, but I strongly suspect that the best fluid dynamic shape is indeed logarithmic. I don't know what method TDK uses, but a brute force finite element analysis with an evolutionary algorithm will probably converge on the same shape.

Bottom line, one of these days I have to buy and learn to use TDK.