[AR] Re: Nozzle shapes

  • From: "contact@xxxxxxx" <contact@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:25:40 +0100 (CET)

I have seen this Q&A before, and was always wondering what exactly is meant by
"more conical Soviet nozzles" and "worse combustion efficiency in Soviet
chambers"?

Method to design optimal nozzle contour was developed in Soviet Union 1 or 2
years earlier than Rao developed similar method in USA. First engine with such
nozzle was RD-219 for R-16, developed in 1958-1961. Since then all Soviet
engines were developed with optimal nozzle contour, including of course all
staged-combustion engines.

The only engines with "conical" nozzles (actually - with "radius" nozzles) were
RD-107 and RD-210...214, developed in first half of 1950s.

Concerning combustion efficiency: "traditionally" almost all Soviet engines had
swirl injector elements (either single or two components) which provide better
atomization and mixing compared to jet injector elements "traditionally" used in
US engines. Since earlier 1960s, almost all engines developed in USSR were
staged-combustion engines, with swirl injectors for liquid component and jet
injectors for hot gaseous component. Such combination provides even better
atomization and mixing.

Best regards

Alexander Ponomarenko
http://www.propulsion-analysis.com