[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:27:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 johndom@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> As chutes often fail I wonder if it would be possible to design an
> impact resistant payload bay, just in case. OTOH, none of the (lunar)
> Ranger impact probes made it. Bad omen?

Not really -- none of the Ranger hard-landers got a chance to try.
("Impact probe" is a bit of a misnomer -- the Ranger landers had solid
retros that decelerated them to fairly low velocity before impact.)

Only Rangers 3-5 carried the hard-lander.  Ranger 3 missed the Moon due to
launcher misbehavior, and Rangers 4 and 5 had major electronics failures
in the main spacecraft that prevented both the midcourse correction and
the lander deployment.  Rangers 6-9 carried cameras only.

Ranger 10 was going to make the next hard-lander attempt, but it and its
successors were canceled -- Ranger had hit so many problems and delays
that by the time Ranger 9 flew, Surveyor 1 was almost ready to attempt
the first controlled soft landing, so further attempts with the Ranger
hard-lander seemed pointless.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)