[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: Bill Claybaugh <wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:18:07 -0500

My impression is that this is not quite correct for large store bought motors
and careful builders: big store bought motors are expensive enough to make
getting them back worthwhile for most hobbyists.

Since I build my own--and since I combine the motor and airframe--I pay only
the direct cost of materials and avoid the airframe altogether, which cost is
far less than the full marked up cost of motors and airframes. That makes
recovery much less economic to me (especially since the fins and nozzle
typically survive impact, meaning only the tube and bulkhead require
replacing); even so, it is worth recovering the electronics: a simple video
telemetry system can easily approach $2000, including hardware.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone