[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:13:54 -0800 (PST)

Two birds with one stone; just replaced the tape holding in the microSD card
with a 1/4" x 1/2" strip of flourescent orange ripstop nylon super glued on the
card. Makes it very visible and doesn't require tweezers to remove it for
downloading the data. Should be easy to spot if it ends up in a mud crack again
( ;

Rick

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:44:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, Rick Maschek wrote:
> Earlier this year on one of the student teams I mentor, a flight with a
> hard landing had the microSD card pop out and was difficult to find on
> the lake bed. A short brightly covered streamer would have helped but
> that has been rectified by securing the card with tape.

I wonder about the practicalities of *fastening* a streamer to a micro-SD
card -- they're so tiny, and as far as I know there are no promises that
any particular part of them is free of electronics (to permit drilling a
hole there).

I guess even just sticking a thin streamer to one side with cyanoacrylate
improves the odds over no streamer...

Henry Spencer
henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)