[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:23:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 johndom@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thin flexible multilayer PCBs are available since the seventies. Applied in
> most NATO jets circuitry. Allow for 90° bends. Mylar I think...

Versions with only one or two layers are also frequently used as flexible
interconnects, e.g. between printer and moving print-head or between
laptop body and screen.

> So I wonder if flex ones crack too.

Yes, they can crack, if flexed too often.  The one connecting the body
and screen of the Psion Series 5 (which was either a super-palmtop or an
ultra-mini-laptop, depending on your viewpoint :-) ) was a notorious
failure point on that otherwise-durable machine, partly because of an
ill-placed tooling hole that cracks often started at.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)