[AR] Re: "How Hard Can It Be" rocket episode

  • From: George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:25:19 -0800

For liquids, one might consider recovering using a front-mounted propellant
tank (possibly open-cell foam filled) with integral nosecone, with
mid-mounted electronics with a really good shock mounting and really SOLID
nose bulkhead between it and the front tank, and just use lawn darting
recovery and assume replacement of the nose tank after flight.

It does have the somewhat problematic issue of the heavy-ish motor being
aft, but you could weight the nose enough to get nose-first recovery when
empty, or ensure the electronics package is heavy enough, or ...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx