[AR] Re: Concussion Wind tunnel

  • From: David Weinshenker <daze39@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 08:51:19 -0700

Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:
> Schlieren photography

Well, yeah, that's an example of the sort of "specialized optical
system" I was envisioning: I remain curious regarding the larger
point... assuming the success of such an imaging campaign, what
is thereby revealed that would be of interest from an engineering
point of view?

(I recognize that capturing pretty pictures of
schlieren-visualized shock wave effects is not
an uninteresting act in itself, of course, but
presumably there's some object to the exercise
beyond the mere image?)

Keeping a schlieren optical system correctly aligned
while in proximity to an operating shock tube tunnel
might be ... interesting! (At least electronic imaging
-probably- makes life easier than some of the stories
I've heard about the old high-speed film cameras...)

-dave w