[AR] Re: Concussion Wind tunnel

  • From: "Ray Rocket" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ar0cketman@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 16:09:48 -0700

On Thu, 9/4/14, Norman Yarvin <yarvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Don't many supersonic tunnels inherently operate in a "very transient"
> >mode? I thought that was a common characteristic of such systems...

> More like "transient" than "very transient".  The idea is something
 like "we compressed a lot of air on one end, and pulled a vacuum on
 the other end, and got supersonic flow for a fraction of a second
 after breaking the separating membrane", not "we were trying to
 get data from a shock wave whose thickness
 is measured in microns".

> (Shock waves are closely followed by expansion waves, after which the
 gas slows back down.  With really huge explosions -- as in, nuclear --
 there can be a serious distance between the two, but for anything an
 experimenter in the same room can survive, the distance will be
 microscopic.

Oh, if scale is an issue, YSK that a very large shock tube exists:
http://www.wsmr.army.mil/testcenter/TE/services/neee/ne/Pages/Blast.aspx

The 20-meter diameter, 170-meter long, concrete shock tube
burns LOx and powdered aluminum, heating nitrogen to simulate
nuclear overpressure and thermal effects.

I'd like to know what kind of concrete can endure this kind of environment!

Ad Astra,

Ray