[AR] Re: Concussion Wind tunnel

  • From: David Weinshenker <daze39@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 22:57:15 -0700

Ben Brockert wrote:
> There are times when wind tunnels give much better data than FEA, but
> for modeling something that is rotationally symmetric through a small
> range of operable flight angles the data from FEA is going to be a lot
> more accurate than something like trying to use an explosion as a very
> transient wind tunnel.

Don't many supersonic tunnels inherently operate in a "very transient"
mode? I thought that was a common characteristic of such systems...

It could potentially be worth imaging a simple case with a distinctive
shock wave pattern (a plain conical or blunt body perhaps) to validate
the FEA model. This would require fewer "shots" than actually using the
transient tunnel for shape development - but without assurance that the
model was consistent with observed behavior for at least one tested case,
I'd be very uncertain about how much to believe the model.

-dave w