[AR] Re: Concussion Wind tunnel

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 06:33:39 -0700

 I guess to learn anything about it in the real world I need to
photograph a explosive shockwave and see what there really is there to
work with.

 One problem would be calibration even if it did work well enough to get
any data I'd need a real wind tunnel to calibrate the results.

 I believe I could do that with a steel "reed" that bends a measurable
amount at differing velocities. Photograph the reed in the same frame as
the model and the deflection of the reed would indicate the velocity in
that frame.

 All purely speculation any number of factors might render that a no go.

 I know for a fact I can not afford a tank large enough for a proper
wind tunnel. But there are a lot of caves and wells here in Texas.
Perhaps I could get lucky and find one nearby I could pull a vacuum on?
A Roots type blower (automotive supercharger) could pull a pretty good
vacuum on a large volume pretty fast.

Monroe