[optacon-l] Re: Optacon research and development

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:10:09 -0600

Tracy:

I have two observations, as a user of the BrainPort in "real World" mobility
situations.  First, there are more signs in the "real World" of the streets,
and inside public places than I could have ever previously imagined.  In
fact, they are so ubiquitous, sighted people often filter them from their
visual consciousness despite the fact they may actually be looking for a
specific sign.  And, worse for we blind people, there is little
standardization of where signs are, and a horrible tendency for those
designing signs to obscure the text with cutesy ploys to make them unique or
interesting to the jaded sighted observer...  Next, contrary to the
imaginings of we blind folks, or developers, locating the desired sign
independently without some orientation as to where the sign will be located,
and then, optimizing the image for reading is an exceedingly complex
difficult and potentially time-consuming task...  Sorry, but that's been my
experiences with trying to learn to do some semblance of seeing in the "real
World" outside the controlled strictures of a lab...

Nick