[optacon-l] Re: Optacon research and development

  • From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:54:09 -0500

One of the things Dr. Teller mentioned in the machine he's developing is
the ability to read signs at a distance.  I could really use that.  I work
in midtown Manhattan, and I find the GPS pretty unreliable there, because
of all the tall buildings.  Even here in Jersey, it only gets me close to
something.  There are still at least 2 or 3 doors to choose from.
I think it would be great to be able to read an address or sign.  I can
imagine walking through a mall and being able to read store signs, or walk
through an airport and read gates, or the sign saying Concourse C and an
arrow, or even my perennial favorite, the sign for the ladies' restroom.
Then, if I could use the same device to walk into a store and read the
price tag on an item I'm interested in ... well, sign me up!
Being able to read at a distance or close up is something I could really use.
Tracy