[optacon-l] Re: Optacon research and development

  • From: Karla Westjohn <kawstjhn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:27:02 -0600

We don't need the mobility information.  Solid travel skills coupled
with a white cane or guide dog provide that better than any itching
thing in my business suit or dress ever could.  What we need, for the
trillionth time, is a portable, efficient way to read print and examine
graphics in real time, with our brains doing the interpreting.  We had
that in the Optacon.  After you produce said device, please do a better
job of marketing.  Try employing blind people who have actually worked
somewhere--preferably outside the blindness system and in a job where
blind people were not being sought.

Failures in Optacon marketing:  Trying to sell the Optacon as a
replacement for Braille.  It decidedly is not.  Actually, because they
are good readers and thereby motivated to read,many, if not most,
Optacon readers are proficient Braille users.  Use sensible teaching
methods.  If intensity, magnification, and threshhold are so low that
letters are indistinguishable, tactile blobs, it is no wonder the user
develops no speed and proficiency.  I had conventional Optacon training,
gave up on the device, and, years later, purchased one in law school as
another option for print use.  In the intervening years, I had retained
my knowledge of print, examining large, raised numbers and letters when
the chance presented itself.  The second time around I taught myself the
Optacon.  I junked the nonsense peddled by TSI and its sponsored
instructors and taught myself the device the way people learn to read.
I reviewed the sheets of raised letters and numbers until I knew them
cold.  Intensity, threshhold, and magnification were turned up to the
point of clear recognition.  No more Dolch word lists.  I read what I
wanted and needed to read:  a copy of Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life
of Ivan Denisovich--bought at a used bookstore for 45 cents; law school
supplements; the phone bill.

Then a miracle happened.  Because I truly could recognize the
characters, magnification, intensity, and threshhold came down. Speed
came way up--to about 100 words a minute.  I discovered that, as a
matter of fact, I could use the Optacon to examine some handwriting,
logos, and other graphics.  Fix the problem. Do not attempt to solve
problems already well solved.  Employ qualified blind people on your
research team.  Those fixated on the inferiority of the blind and the
inferiority of blindness skills like Braille and travel--skills which
should be reinforced and celebrated--should be permanently excluded.

Karla Westjohn