[optacon-l] Re: Optacon research and development

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 04:47:02 -0600

Karla:
Let me "respectfully" and hopefully "civilly" beg to differ with some
aspects of your analysis.

The evolution of Nana Technological processes used in the production of
clothing makes cloth using the characteristics a cost-effective spin-off
from the cloth used by Gamers, and those engaged in Military, Law
Enforcement, and other types of training and activities an off-the-shelf
item and consequently less expensive than say--the one-off unique to the
needs of its user's-group array of the Optacon.  This is the Lateral
thinking to which I alluded in my first response to Dr. Teller's offering to
the list...

I also believe that I could make a good case for encompassing the problems
faced by Younger Blind Persons as a concomitant to the dumbing-down of our
entire culture as a consequence to faddish educational and psychological
theories, as well as entertainment, and the expectations of parents and
culture at large.  Yes, blind children deprived of the use of braille and
Optacons have damaged the flexibility and functionality of younger blind
people, but that isn't the fault of vendors and developers of technology as
much as it is of overwhelmed, overburdened, and in some cases incompetent
unthinking educators and their administrators and Visual Disabilities
Education Faculty.

And to decreased employment within our Community, it can be convincingly
argued that the Politicians who wrote the Americans With Disabilities Act,
and those who regulated it have pandered to the Private Sector's paranoia
about the worst case scenarios pertaining to the cost of equipping a blind
person.  On the other hand, agencies have failed there too, looking to get
out of their legally defined roles in the loop of enabling Us to become tax
payers, hoping to shift some of that burden onto the Private Sector.  And I
know most of if not all of us have seen mal fesant, non-fesant, ignorant
and/or corrupt Blindness Agency personnel equip clients with devices they
can't use for the sake of a favored Adaptive Equipment provider  for a lunch
or similar off-the-books compensation...

There is allot of blame to go around.  But another truth is, they don't just
make vanilla RLF/ROP blind kids today.  The preponderance of kids being
served have a panoplies of problems to be addressed ranging from physical,
cognitive, and those stemming from their cultures of origin...

My request is that we acknowledge problems such as the education and
employment needs of the blind are rarely simple in nature, and there is no
one panacea--not even our beloved Optacon which holds all of the answers to
resolving them.

Nick