[optacon-l] Re: Optacon research and development

  • From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:35:02 -0500

Dear Prof.s and Seth Teller:

I am a rehabilitation engineer with a background in biology and in
electronics engineering, and am also an optacon user.  In ordder to not
clutter up list, I would be most interested in furthering this discussion
with you off list.

Let me start by asking if the resolution of your MEMs matrix can be
increased?  1 millimeter is not quite as fine a resolution as is desirable
for an optacon display.  In addition, a very dense matrix of MEMs might also
permit a display to be used for optacon-like functionality, and for
producing refreshable Braille.

Tactile displays, even screens, involving the use of clays and polymeres are
also being researched.  However, as with all present and previous tactile
technologies (including electrode arrays) have been found lacking.  One
project does not learn from the others what went wrong, why, and how to
avoid the mistakes which are inevitably made by whichever present project is
bding tried.

My best wishes to your success, and I would be happy to converse with you
off list.

Charles Pond
Ottawa, Canada