Re: Camera That Talks

  • From: "Michael Bowman-Jones" <mikebowmanjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:55:01 -0700

Greetings, All.

I might as well throw in my comments about the Talking Camera.
While there is improvement from generation to generation on a product, I
suspect the tekkies would tell us that the most improvements are in the
first few generations and this applies whether the product is "mainstream"
or specialized.  Based on  this hypothesis, I never buy a first- or
second-generation product.  Yes, I know that if everyone used this approach
the companies would go broke but, on the other hand, I am not a charitable
foundation so I wait.

I think there are uses for the camera and the Optacon and they are not
necessarily incompatible.  As pointed out elsewhere, the Talking Camera
would probably work better in a restaurant, for example.  That being said, I
think the primary obstacle for picking the Opticon over the Camera for
potential buyers would probably be price.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I
am thinking that the Camera would be much cheaper because it does not have a
tactile display.  If the Camera can perform the vast majority of functions
the Opticon does at a lower price and has a much shallower learning curve as
there is no alphabet to learn, among other things.  does this make the
Opticon an endangered species?

Michael