Re: Camera That Talks

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:14:10 -0500

It's $3.495.

W. Nick Dotson

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:02:19 EDT, Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx wrote:

 Has the price of this KNFB device been announced yet? And a talking device
 that's portable is great, but it won't do what the optacon can do as far as
 making diagrams and maps available to us via touch. That is in my opinion why
 tactile device can do so much more. Some of us work with circuit diagrams and
 musical notation and black and white maps. Scanning or pictorial devices won't
 make these things available to us.
 Gail

 rather than simply rebuilding the optacon using the original circuit
 designs with today's technology, it might be sensible to build a
 USB-compatible tactile array in a box with the needed controls, and plug
 it into something like this "camera that talks".  I other words, alter and
 refine oleg's readiog machine-based approach.  Does it make sense to
 re-develop a stand-alone optacon?  From what I am piecing together over
 time of how the optacon R1D and II work (here a little, there a little),
 and with today's technology, it would seem feasible to build an optacon
 about the size of a cassette tape case or thereabouts. (maybe not
 including battery?)
 Charles
 quotes)
 quotes) in
 the message subject.

W. Nick Dotson
Technical Support Group
Senior Support Engineer for Kurzweil 1000