Re: Camera That Talks

  • From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:54:20 -0700

I'll take an Optacon too.  But one thing.  There's really nothing wrong with a
reading machine that's smaller and maybe even more accurate.  there is
certainly a place for such a device.

But, it still relies on software/hardware to do the recognition and if it can't
recognize what it sees, you're out of luck.

The problem really isn't with the machine itself, but rather all the hype that
goes with it.

One real problem with the Optacon was that it was presented as a device which
would allow the user to read everything easily.  As we all know, the
learning curve was a lot steeper than that.

This new scanning device is being touted in the same way.  The deficiencies may
be different, but the misrepresentation amounts to the same thing.

But, I suppose I'm preaching to the choir again.  <smile>

Don

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:44:09 -0400, Anthony Vece wrote:

Hi Cindy;

Give me an OPTACON any day.

Anthony