Re: Camera That Talks

  • From: "Ham Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:17:57 -0400

Well, I don't know where Anthony is getting his information.  Even on some
fairly challenging material, such as business cards which are italicized and
often on a reflective surface with various colors, it did quite well.

On regular text, the error rate probably isn't much worse than a regular
OCR, provided you do a decent job of keeping the camera aligned and don't
shake during the delay between pressing the shoot button and the time the
picture is actually taken.

Actually, I'm not ready to take the plunge with version 1.  But, I certainly
did have some temptation; I could have used it at the hotel to read various
placards, notes in the room, menus, etc.  I didn't take an Optacon with me,
obviously, but there are times when this device would be much handier such
as reading menus than using an Optacon.

The folks there, obviously not wishing to forego a possible sale, claim the
onlhy improvements will be in software.  I find this hard to fathom with the
PDA processing power improving exponentially; so, I've decided to wait for
version 2.

But, to summarize, in my view, it is most certainly well better than a forty
percent error rate.  I don't know of an exact statistic, but if a good OCR
is 97% accurate, I'd guess this has to be in the 90-93% range.