TAlking Camera

  • From: "Ham Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:23:52 -0400

Charles,

I can think of two examples.  One is a person who was able to identify the
contents of a round container, which a regular flatbed scanner couldn't do.
The second example is a guy who took a picture of the front page of a
newspaper at a newsstand, the kind where there is a large metal box that
displays the front page through a plastic window.  You pays your buck and
get the whole paper.  I doubt you could read that with an Optacon since the
paper isn't right against the plastic or the Optacon lens.

In what I saw, I don't think text recognition is different; probably
slightly worse and much slower than a PC with a scanner.  But, offsetting
that is the portability.  You can stick it in your suitcoat pocket, and had
I been wearing a sportcoat, it would have been tempting (grin).

Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

Steve, K8SP