Re: Camera That Talks

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:12:10 -0500

1.  The tactile array had a specific matrix, and granularity because
scientifically conducted medical studies proved the efficacy of an array with
the
characteristics used in the Model R1 devices.  Those of us who use it heavily,
for the mostpart, were considerably less impressed with the R2's array.  What
if any benefit could be garnered from an array that was broader than that of
the 2-fingered Japanese model?  And, what is going to drive down the
manufacturing cost of the array?

2.  Linking an OCR-Oriented device, which does alot of preprocessing before
OCR'ing the image, to a tactile array is not going to be a trivial task, and to
what end would such a linkage be beneficial?

3.  I do like the idea of being able to explore a computer screen text graphics
and all, as one sort of could with the Model 2's, but, I'd want something freed
of the constraints of having to necessarily be tied to specific OS'(s), if
possible, perhaps even something giving one access to the BIOS, but those are
almost mutually exclusive of hardware and software dependencies...

Nick

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:48:12 -0400 (EDT), Charles Pond wrote:

 rather than simply rebuilding the optacon using the original circuit
 designs with today's technology, it might be sensible to build a
 USB-compatible tactile array in a box with the needed controls, and plug
 it into something like this "camera that talks".  I other words, alter and
 refine oleg's readiog machine-based approach.  Does it make sense to
 re-develop a stand-alone optacon?  From what I am piecing together over
 time of how the optacon R1D and II work (here a little, there a little),
 and with today's technology, it would seem feasible to build an optacon
 about the size of a cassette tape case or thereabouts. (maybe not
 including battery?)

 Charles