RE: Camera That Talks

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:05:37 -0700

I am an Optacon user, have been for a long time but, I could see a place for
this device in my life, not for fine-reading details, however, I don't take
the Optacon to places where I might want to read a brochure, or to the
store, or to restaurants, places where accuracy of what I am reading isn't
the main goal but to get the information I want quickly and immediately is.
I could see that both devices could help a blind person become more
independent.  I would never use the device to look up words in a dictionary
like I do the Optacon, but to read an office memo that came only on paper,
maybe, to peruse a menu and save my table companions from reading it to me
or telling me what interests them, most definitely.

I am not buying one just yet, but I can see such a device in my future,
maybe, and I have a scanner at home, it is great for a lot of things but if
I need to find something particular on a page, the Optacon is my method.

I figure if we can either afford or find funding, all the tools we can
manage leads us to more independence.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx