[muglo] Re: Multisession burning with OS X

  • From: Leith Peterson <leithriver7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:42:04 -0400

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice on multisession burning
with OS 10.3 on my iBook G3.  Based on all this input, I am assuming
the best route to go is to buy Toast and get an external CD burner.
Questions/comments:

1.      Tee, you said on August 8 you bought a "new USB 2/Firewire
ext 3.5/5.25 'Hot swapable' case and 'LG' 16 x layer DVD/CD burner
for $135 incl taxes."  Where did you get this?  I don't understand
all the technical details, but would this be suitable for my G3?

2.      Paul, you said on August 7 you had tried the multisession
burning technique once using the method outlined at:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/multisessioncds.html

The author indicates in some introductory remarks before providing
the instructions that some people have had mixed results with
multisession burning under Panther, which may be due to "either a bug
in Panther or some anomaly in the systems of users who are having
problems with such.  To date, we have not been able to ascertain a
specific cause."

I have not had a chance to try the method recommended by The X Lab
above, but if any people have had positive experiences with it, I'd
be interested in hearing about them.  Paul:  I know you only tried it
once, and then went back to just burning one session at a time.

At any rate, since it appears that multisession results using Apple's
Disk Utility can be undependable, I'd rather go with a dependable
system.  I have used Toast for years with OS 9.2.2 and an external
burner and have been satisfied with the results.

However, at present I'm using both OS 9 and 10 systems on separate
computers and would like to maintain this approach for some time,
which will necessitate my getting another external burner and, I'm
assuming, an updated version of Toast.

Leith