[AR] Re: Sugar Rocket State of the Art?

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 05:25:03 -0700

 Just about anything you do to make the propellant more suitable makes
the ISP lower. Galcit is the next logical step. This propellant is a
hundred years old I think. It's a dead horse. Even if you make it work
somehow it's performance is just too low to be practical for large
rockets.

 I am so glad to see SS2S get away from the phased staging concept
though. I think their chances for greater success just increased 10
fold. If they keep building you'll see some impressive sugar altitude
for sure.

 Galcit may have some room for improvement but it's been around forever
too. It's performance is better with less effort.

Monroe