[AR] Re: Sugar Rocket State of the Art?

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "JMKrell@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:44:22 -0400

A lot of amateurs can make APCP, but I would not call it an amateur
propellant. HTPB binders were pioneered by amateurs. The aerospace industry was

using CTPB binders in the 70's. Ray Goodson read  about HTPB resins and
spread the word to Bill Wood, myself and  others. I'm sure Ray had more
experience with HTPB than Thiokol with the  release of their patent in 1978.

Krell

In a message dated 10/13/2014 2:27:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Once you  get to the same level of complexity required to make APCP it's
wiser to go  that route from an ISP standpoint.

I don't think a hybrid would qualify  as a sugar rocket that's a hybrid
rocket, but that is just my  opinion.

Don't get me wrong I like Sugar rockets for there usefulness  and 50km
sounds about right for a decent sounding rocket.

Besides  who says APCP is not an amateur propellant? I see plenty of
amateurs  producing APCP propellant. We made our own. Anyways I've said
enough you  guy's can decide what you want to do without my assistance.

Sugar  rockets are for sure lots of fun. Enjoy!