[AR] Re: Sugar Rocket State of the Art?

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:53:33 -0500

A decade ago Richard Nakka found that brown iron oxide had unexpected
burn rate enhancement properties in KNSB:
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/oxidex.html
As of earlier this year no one had followed up with more data:
//www.freelists.org/post/sugpro/brown-iron-oxide-burn-rate-enhancer,2

The old Sugpro went down and a new one was put up, but there has been
no traffic in recent months: //www.freelists.org/list/sugpro

Rick Maschek has taken over leadership of Sugar Shot to Space from
Richard Nakka. He's now planning a two stage rocket rather than two
burn, which gets rid of one of the most consistently unsolved issues
of that program.

I did a number of FEA tests on sugar propellants using material
properties experimentally found by Nakka and showed that you can't
make really large case bonded sugar rockets with aluminum cases
because the case stretches more than the propellant and it cracks. At
some point I need to re-run that with a high modulus case design like
carbon overwrapped stainless.

original results:
http://sugarshotsolidworks.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/casebonded-grain-stresses/
narrative: http://sugarshotsolidworks.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/49/
more posts on random SS2S topics, mostly not sugar propellant:
http://sugarshotsolidworks.wordpress.com/

Ben