[AR] Re: Sugar Rocket State of the Art?

  • From: "Ray Rocket" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ar0cketman@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:24:05 -0700

> It's going to be really tough to beat sucrose and potassium nitrate and
 still be able to call it sugar propellant. Anything you add will reduce
 the ISP not increase it.

If AN could be made to work with sugar, that should bump the Isp.
My initial forays in that direction were not encouraging.

> SugarPro mailing list is the other.

Is SugPro still active?  The recent digest barf to AR was several years old.

> Rick Maschek will probably chime in once he see the posting
 on Arocket.

I look forward to it.  Would also like to see if Scott Jolley has continued
development since his last web site update.

> IMO sugar propellant is good for some purposes;  certainly not the best
 choice to reach space, much cheaper to use APCP.  Even if you're
 making the rocket and propellant. SS2S is a special case of using that type of
 propellant to reach space and not what would be considered a cheap,
 easy, or especially effective means of propulsion.

Perhaps you are correct.  SS2S certainly is an interesting project.  Hopefully,
I can get up to speed and help the project achieve their lofty goal.

Ad Astra,

Ray