Re: New Optacon User

  • From: Pam Drake <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:22:03 -0800

        Hi, Karen,

Congratulations on the new arrial!  <smile>

I used one of the tracking aids when I taught the Optacon, but that was a couple of moves ago in New York and I haven't seen it since.

The aid is a great help in keeping the Optacon camera centered, but I think most people only use it during training. As a matter of fact, one of my students, who happened to be a personal friend, found it very confining. At the end of the first week she said she wanted to try tracking without it. I said okay and her speed and comprehension soared.

Here's a tip for keeping your camera centered: use the dot at the top of a lower-case letter i to make sure you're centered. If that dot is at the tip of your finger you're in good shape. If the hook of a letter j touches the first knuckle you're also good, but I think the dotted i is more reliable. The lines of letters should be even, not broken.

Others may have other ideas, even different ones; but I Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Pam

At 11:20 AM 2/25/2006, you wrote:
Hi Karen and welcome to the list.

There are a lot of good people on here and also lots of knowledge concerning the Optacon.

Richard Oehm does a good job with Optacon repair. When he has to replace a battery he aso does some cleaning of the Optacon array as well, but I'm sure he
will speak in more detail regarding this in his email response to you.

It really does sound as though you do need a new battery in your Optacon. Unfortunately, they don't last forever. <smile>

Don

optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the message subject.

optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the message subject.